Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fave Foods: Poffertjes/Little Dutch Pancakes

Back in the "old days" before we married, Dean lived in Melbourne and I lived in Sydney. Every fortnight I would fly down to spend the weekend together and most Sundays we would head to the Victoria Markets and have a great big plate of Poffertjes/Little Dutch Pancakes for brunch.

This Christmas, while I was shopping for everyone else's presents, I walked past an electric Poffertjes maker and quickly popped it in my shopping, telling Dean when I got home in a happy state what "he" bought me for Christmas.

A few days after Christmas we christened it with the recipe that came with the maker and quickly turfed all evidence of THAT attempt... holy moly they were terrible... and then did some research and experiments and found a MUCH better recipe, now we can indulge in them all the time. Yum yum.

Little Dutch Pancakes
makes a whole heap!

Ingredients
  • 2 cup self-raising flour
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 eggs
Method
  1. preheat pancake maker and lightly grease indentations (I use spray oil)
  2. combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl
  3. add milk, water and eggs and mix/whisk until smooth
  4. add enough mixture until each indentation is just full
  5. cook until bubbles start to appear on the top, and flip over (should be just golden on the cooked side)
  6. cook for a further couple of minutes until golden brown on both sides.
I like mine with a bit of icing sugar and lemon juice or sometimes golden syrup, Dean likes maple syrup on his, and the kids love a little bit of honey dribbled over.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Arent they the best! We used to eat them at the Werribee Market but now have our own maker. We too didnt like the recipe that came with the box and I think we are using the same one as you are. They are delicious with lemon juice and icing sugar.

Belinda said...

Oh, I am using a different recipe....... yeast and golden syrup in mine.... yum

CurlyPops said...

Yum, I always buy those at markets. Where did you find the maker?

Ange Moore said...

My auntie-in-law is dutch and she makes these at her kids birthday parties every year, served with jam and icing sugar. She makes hers with buckweat flour and yeast (I think)!