Monday, June 7, 2010

Iron Chef 2010

Last night, Dean & I had a very special date night, attending the fourth Iron Chef dinner at the Hilton Sydney.

Iron Chef Chen and Iron Chef Sakai from the show were accompanied by Chef Haru from Blancharu, Chef Okazaki from Rise, Chef Gary from Hilton and Chef Saeko from Ten to make a six course dinner plus canapés in the Grand Ballroom.

Canapes by Iron Chef Sakai and Chen, Sushi by Sushi Samurai
NV Bridgewater Mill Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay

Chef Sakai

Chef Chen

Chef Sakai's Chilled Seafood on cauliflower mousse with mango dressing
2009 Mt Difficulty Estate Pinot Gris

Chef Okazaki's Tuna tataki, asparagus and lemongrass tomato salsa
Tuna rice paper roll
Tuna tartare with spicy miso in wanton cup
2009 Knappstein 'Three' - Gewurztraminer - Riesling - Pinot Gris

Chef Haru's Spatchcock en croute de sel a la Haru
2008 Stonier Estate Chardonnay

Iron Chef Chen's
Lobster with chili sauce Szechwan style
2006 Argyle 'Reserve' Pinot Noir

Chef Gary's Braised Wagyu veal cheek on green pea & wasabi mash with cabernet jus
2008 Petaluma 'The Hundred Line' Cabernet Sauvignon

Chef Saeko's Smoked chocolate and 'DELAMAIN X.O.FALE&DRY 25YO' mousse, with agar-agar of milk, chocolate anaglaise sauce

A beautiful meal with stunning presentation. The lobster was absolutely a favourite for everyone I spoke to including Meave O'Meara who was sitting at the table next to me and I managed to get enough courage to go and say hello to. She was so lovely, we chatted for a little bit and she signed a menu for my Mum.

A copy of the menu signed by Maeve O'Meara for my Mum

Once in a lifetime dinner and worth every penny. I'll be dreaming about lobster with chili sauce and cauliflower mousse for a long while to come.

1 comment:

Vic said...

Oh Sakai!

Sure the food may have been beyond amazing, but I am jealous that you got to see Sakai... I have a bit of a weird old man crush on Sakai, I love him!